Proof: By Euclid
(related to Proposition: Prop. 9.27: Odd Number minus Even Number is Odd)
- For let the unit $AD$ have been subtracted (from $AB$).
- $DB$ is thus even [Def. 7.7] .
- And $BC$ is also even.
- Thus, the remainder $CD$ is also even [Prop. 9.24].
- $CA$ (is) thus odd [Def. 7.7] .
- (Which is) the very thing it was required to show.
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from (subject to copyright, with kind permission)
- Fitzpatrick, Richard: Euclid's "Elements of Geometry"