Proof: By Euclid
(related to Proposition: Prop. 9.26: Odd Number minus Odd Number is Even)
- For since $AB$ is odd, let the unit $BD$ have been subtracted (from it).
- Thus, the remainder $AD$ is even [Def. 7.7] .
- So, for the same (reasons), $CD$ is also even.
- And hence the remainder $CA$ is even [Prop. 9.24].
- (Which is) the very thing it was required to show.
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from (subject to copyright, with kind permission)
- Fitzpatrick, Richard: Euclid's "Elements of Geometry"