Person: Archibald, James
James Archibald graduated from Edinburgh University and eventually became headmaster of Dalry School Edinburgh.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Mr James Archibald, MA, F.R.S.E., until recently headmaster of Dalry School, Edinburgh, has been made the recipient of gifts from the pupils and staff of the school, and from associates during his career as a teacher Mr Herbert, acting head master, made the presentation.
- Mr Archibald had a serious breakdown in health during the winter, and this has necessitated his giving up active service.
- For many years Mr Archibald was an active and enthusiastic member of the Mathematical Society.
- Archibald was educated at Northern District School for four years, then at Stockbridge School for two years, and finally two further years at North Canongate School.
- The death occurred yesterday morning, at his residence, 31 Leamington Terrace, Edinburgh, of Mr James Archibald F.R.S.E., formerly headmaster of Dalry Road Public School.
- Mr Archibald retired a year and a half ago, after spending 45 years as a teacher in Edinburgh.
Born 16 July 1862, Edinburgh, Scotland. Died 16 November 1925, Edinburgh, Scotland.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive