Person: Beyel, Christian
Christian Beyel was a Swiss mathematician who taught at ETH Zürich.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Beyel junior studied at the Engineering Department of the Polytechnic from 1872-1876.
- In January 1882 Beyel received his doctorate from the University of Zürich for his thesis "Centrische Kollineation nter Ordnung in der Ebene vermittelt durch Ähnlichkeitspunkte von Kreisen" Ⓣ(Centric Collineation of nth order in the plane by means of similarity points of circles); it was re-conferred to him on the occasion of its 50th anniversary.
- Beyel was a member of the German Mathematical Society.
- Beyel was a prolific writer.
- Beyel also wrote a number of geometry books, such as "Geometrische Studien" Ⓣ(Geometrical studies) (1886) and "Darstellende Geometrie: Mit einer Sammlung von 1800 Dispositionen zu Aufgaben aus der darstellenden Geometrie" Ⓣ(Descriptive Geometry: With a collection of 1800 dispositions to tasks of descriptive geometry) (1901).
- Beyel joined the organising committee of the first International Congress of Mathematicians in December 1896, but he did not hold a particular position.
Born 29 November 1854, Zürich, Switzerland. Died 16 January 1941, Zürich, Switzerland.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive