Person: Crawford, Lawrence
Laurence Crawford graduated from Glasgow University. After a period at Birmingham University he became Professor of Pure Mathematics at South African College which later became the University of Cape Town.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Lawrence attended Glasgow High School and then entered the University of Glasgow.
- In 1903 Crawford was appointed as Lecturer in Mathematics at Mason College, Birmingham.
- In 1904, four years before Crawford arrived in Cape Town, a movement had started to obtain a charter for a University of Cape Town.
- At this time Crawford became Professor of Pure Mathematics at the University of Cape Town.
- After retiring Crawford remained in Cape Town and was elected as a City Councillor in 1944, an office he held for the rest of his life.
- Crawford joined the Edinburgh Mathematical Society in April 1885 while he was still a student in Glasgow.
Born 14 March 1867, Glasgow, Scotland. Died 5 April 1951, Cape Town, South Africa.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive