Person: Dahlin, Ernst Mauritz
Mauritz Dahlin was a Swedish mathematicianwho best known for his work on the history of mathematics.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- In the autumn of 1854, Mauritz Dahlin entered Östersund High School.
- Dahlin spent four years at this school before moving to Uppsala High School in the autumn of 1858.
- This university, founded in 1477, was the oldest university in Sweden and, at the time that Dahlin studied there, it was one of only two universities in Sweden, the other being Lund University.
- Dahlin was awarded the degree on 31 May 1875 and on 8 September of that year he was appointed as a docent in mathematics at Uppsala University.
- After the award of his Ph.D., Dahlin had been put forward by the Uppsala Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences for the position of docent in the history of mathematics.
- Dahlin made an, albeit modest, addition to Sweden's history of education with his graduate thesis 'Contributions to the history of mathematics in Sweden before 1679', which mainly consists of concise accounts of Uppsala professors' mathematical papers before the said year.
- Dahlin points out an important source for the study of history of education, namely the handwritten manuscripts from the astrological observatory in Uppsala (currently deposited in the university library), but one cannot say that he fully made use of this source even with regards to its mathematical content.
- Dahlin had started to gather material for a continuation covering the time after 1679, but this work had to be withdrawn, since he for economic reasons was forced to leave the university.
- Finding that he could not afford to work as a docent at the university, Dahlin became a bank clerk at Swedish National Bank on 8 April 1876.
- Dahlin resigned his position at the prison service on 13 August 1913 when he reached the age of seventy.
- Dahlin was honoured with the "Second Award" from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences of Uppsala University in 1875; the Royal Order of Vasa in 1895; and Jubilee Doctor on 30 May 1925.
Born 4 August 1843, Handog, Lit Parish, Jämtland Province, Sweden. Died 24 February 1929, Helsingborg, Skane Province, Sweden.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive