Person: Droz-Farny, Arnold
Arnold Droz-Farny was a Swiss mathematician best known for the Droz-Farny line theorem.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- On marriage they both changed their name to Droz-Farny.
- In 1880 Droz-Farny was appointed as a professor of physics and mathematics at the cantonal School in Porrentruy near Basel in Switzerland.
- Droz-Farny is best known for results published in the publications of 1899 and 1901 mentioned in this quote.
- This is known as the Droz-Farny line theorem, but it is not known whether Droz-Farny had a proof of the theorem.
- Looking at other work by Droz-Farny, one is led to conjecture that indeed he would have constructed a proof of the theorem.
- Droz-Farny's proof appears in the paper Notes sur un théorème de Steiner Ⓣ(Notes on Steiner's theorem) in Mathesis 21 (1901), 268-271.
- Droz-Farny died "a long and painful disease".
Born 12 February 1856, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland. Died 14 January 1912, Porrentruy, Switzerland.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive