Person: Goldie, Archibald
Archibald Goldie studied at the universities of St Andrews and Cambridge. He served in the Meteorological Service of the British Army in World War I and continued to work in various branches of the Meteorological Office.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Archibald attended Harris Academy, Dundee, Angus, and then the University of St Andrews before going to Cambridge to study the Mathematical Tripos.
- Goldie graduated as a wrangler (first class student) in August 1913.
- After graduating Goldie was appointed to the Meteorological Office and initially sent for further training in the Forecast Division.
- Goldie was a member of the Edinburgh Mathematical Society, joining the Society in December 1926 while he was working in Edinburgh.
Born 7 July 1888, Armadale, West Lothian, Scotland. Died 24 January 1964, London, England.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive