Person: Grieve, Alexander Barrie
Barrie Grieve graduated from Edinburgh. He continued to research in Geometry and gained a DSc for this work. He became an HM Inspector of Schools.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Barrie Grieve had three siblings: Janet (1889-1970), David (1890-1917) and Ian (1897-1972).
- Barrie was educated at Breadalbane Academy and passed English, Mathematics, Latin, Greek, and French at the Higher grade in the Leaving Certificate examinations.
- Grieve first matriculated at Edinburgh University in October 1903.
- Grieve then undertook research in geometry.
- For example he wrote: A B Grieve, Some Points in the Geometry of Cubic Surfaces, Proc.
- Barrie Grieve joined the navy during the First World War and fought in the Battle of Jutland.
Born 1 January 1886, Aberfeldy, Scotland. Died 3 October 1952, Stonehouse, Lanark, Scotland.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive