Person: Humbert, Georges
Georges Humbert was a French mathematician who worked on geometry and hyperelliptic functions.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- His grandparents sent Georges to the Oratorian College of Juilly to become a boarder there.
- Humbert obtained a doctorate in mathematics in 1885 for his thesis Sur les courbes de genre un Ⓣ(On curves of genus one).
- Pierre Humbert grew up to be a mathematician and has a biography in this archive.
- On the death of Hermite in 1901, Humbert was elected to fill his place in the Académie des Sciences.
- Georges Humbert would be better known today if the area of mathematics in which he worked had remained in favour.
Born 7 January 1859, Paris, France. Died 22 January 1921, Paris, France.
View full biography at MacTutor
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive