Person: Humbert (2), Pierre
Pierre Humbert graduated from the École Polytechnique in Paris and then moved to Edinburgh to do research under Whittaker. He spent most of his career in the University of Montpellier. He worked on Special Functions.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- All of Pierre Humbert's school education took place in Paris, and following this he went on to attend the École Polytechnique there entering the famous French university in 1910.
- At the University of Edinburgh Humbert undertook research under Whittaker whose philosophy of mathematics, and of science more generally, fitted in precisely with those of Humbert.
- After receiving a wound Humbert was no longer fit enough to continue to take part in the military action and so he was able to continue his research.
- Humbert had a fine reputation as a lecturer and also was a talented organiser.
Born 13 June 1891, Paris, France. Died 17 November 1953, Paris, France.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive