Person: Lacombe, Marius
Marius Lacombe was a Swiss schoolteacher who helped organise the first International Congress of Mathematicians.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Lacombe studied mathematics at the Polytechnic's Engineering Department and became a professor at the University of Lausanne in 1892.
- In 1894 he was appointed to a professorship at the Polytechnic in Zürich: Lacombe filled the newly created chair of descriptive geometry in French.
- Lacombe stayed in Zürich for 14 years.
- Lacombe stayed in Lausanne for the rest of his life.
- Lacombe was more teacher than research mathematician.
- Lacombe also received an honorary doctorate from the University of Lausanne.
- Lacombe joined the enlarged organising committee of the first International Congress of Mathematicians in December 1896.
Born 7 February 1862, Lausanne, Switzerland. Died 19 March 1938, Chexbres, Vaud canton, Switzerland.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive