Person: Levytsky, Volodymyr
Volodymyr Levytsky was a Ukrainian mathematician who studied functions of a complex variable.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- The University of Lemberg, which Levytsky studied at, was an ancient educational establishment which was founded in 1784.
- Levytsky taught mathematics at this new university from its foundation.
- Levytsky headed the mathematics-physics section of the Shevchenko Scientific Society in Lviv.
- From 1940, until his death in 1956, Levytsky taught at the Lviv Pedagogical Institute.
- Levytsky wrote the first mathematical paper in Ukrainian and was the editor of the first Ukrainian mathematical journal.
- Levytsky also wrote important historical works on mathematics at the Lviv (Underground) Ukrainian University and mathematics at the Shevchenko Scientific Society.
Born 31 December 1872, Ternopil, Galicia (now Ukraine). Died 13 August 1956, Lviv, Ukraine.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive