Person: Mathisson, Myron
Myron Mathisson was a Polish theoretical physicist who is known for his work in general relativity.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Mathisson, in his letter to Einstein, underlined the fact that during this period Wacław Michal Dziewulski was highly appreciative of his contributions mainly because of his work in the Physical Laboratory.
- There was no way that Mathisson would have been able to support himself financially during that time without earning a salary, so in addition to his other duties he was employed as a technical draftsman.
- In 1918 the war between Poland and Russia broke out and Mathisson undertook military service for two years.
- Mathisson went to Cracow in 1937 where he collaborated with Professor Weyssenhoff, who held the chair of theoretical physics in the Jagellonian University, working on the theory of spin particles.
- Mathisson studied general dynamical laws governing the motion of a particle, with possibly a spin or an angular momentum, in a gravitational or electromagnetic field, and developed a powerful method for passing from field equations to particle equations.
- Mathisson proved that the variational equation can be solved when it has been defined so that the equations to be imposed upon the characteristic tensor will be compatible with the variations allowed in the fields.
- In this last paper Mathisson applied his general variational method to the case of a particle for which second moments are important but third and higher moments are negligible.
- M Mathisson, Die Mechanik des Materieteilchens in der allgemeinen Relativitätstheorie Ⓣ(The mechanics of matter in general relativity), Z.
- M Mathisson, Bewegungsproblem der Feldphysik und Elektronenkonstanten.
- M Mathisson, Eine neue Lösungsmethode für Differentialgleichungen von normalem hyperbolischem Typus Ⓣ(A new method for solving differential equations of normal hyperbolic type), Math.
- M Mathisson, Metoda parametrysy w zastosowaniu de hiperbolicznych ukladöw röwuafi Ⓣ(The parametric method applied to hyperbolic systems), Prace matematyczno-fizyczne 41 (1934), 177-185.
- M Mathisson, Neue Mechanik materieller systemes Ⓣ(New mechanics of material systems), Acta Physica Polonica 6 (1937), 163-200.
- M Mathisson, Das Zitternde Elektron und seine Dynamik Ⓣ(The vibrating electron and its dynamics), Acta Physica Polonica 6 (1937), 218-227.
- M Mathisson, Le problème de M.
- M Mathisson, The variational equation of relativistic dynamics, Proc.
- M Mathisson, Relativistic dynamics of a spinning magnetic particle, Proc.
Born 15 December 1897, Warsaw, Russian Empire (now Poland). Died 13 September 1940, Cambridge, England.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive