Person: Merrifield, Charles Watkins
Charles Merrifield was an English mathematician who worked on elliptic functions and played an important role in the development of mathematical ssocieties.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Charles was well educated and in 1847 he began working at the Department of Education.
- It was in this department that Merrifield began working in 1847, and the Department went on to become the Ministry of Education.
- Although none of Merrifield's papers were of major importance, nevertheless he wrote over 100 papers which he published in the leading journals.
- Finally we should mention that Merrifield played a major role in the London Mathematical Society, being vice-president during 1876-8 and then president during 1878-80.
Born 20 October 1827, Southwark, London, England. Died 1 January 1884, Hove, Sussex, England.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive