Person: Philip, Robert
Robert Philip graduated from St Andrews and became a teacher at Madras College St Andrews. He moved to Hutcheon's School Glasgow and eventually became headmaster there.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Although we do not know Robert's exact date of birth, we do know that he was baptised on 28 February 1854.
- Philip first matriculated at the University of St Andrews in October 1869 being awarded 'merit' in the bursary competition.
- After graduating, Philip was an Assistant Mathematics Master at Madras College, St Andrews from 1873 to 1876.
- It remained at that site throughout Philip's time there.
- Philip joined the Edinburgh Mathematical Society in February 1885, two years after the Society was founded.
Born February 1854, Largo, Fife, Scotland. Died 1 March 1913, Glasgow, Scotland.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive