Person: Wiener (2), Hermann
Hermann Wiener was a German mathematician who worked on the foundations of geometry.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- At the time of Hermann's birth, Christian Wiener was professor of descriptive geometry at the Technische Hochschule of Karlsruhe, having moved there five years earlier when appointed to the chair.
- Hermann entered the Gymnasium in Karlsruhe in 1866 and he took his final examinations ten years later.
- After graduating from the Technische Hochschule in Karlsruhe in 1879, Wiener went to the Technische Hochschule in Munich to study for his doctorate.
- Wiener submitted his habilitation thesis Rein geometrische Theorie der Darstellung binärer Formen durch Punktgruppen auf der Geraden Ⓣ(Geometric theory of representing binary forms by point groups on the line) to the University of Halle in 1885.
- Wiener was a founder member of the German Mathematical Society, as were Cantor, Gordan, Hilbert, Klein, Minkowski, Study and Heinrich Weber who all gave lectures at the Bremen meeting.
- Also in 1890 Wiener published three papers: Die Zusammensetzung zweier endlichen Schraubungen zu einer einzigen Ⓣ(The composition of two finite Screw transformations into a single one); Zur Theorie der Umwendungen Ⓣ(On the theory of inversions); and Über geometrische Analysen Ⓣ(On geometric analysis).
- In 1894 Wiener was appointed as an ordinary professor of mathematics at the Technische Hochschule in Darmstadt.
- Although Wiener is not explicitly credited with influencing Hilbert in his championing of the axiomatic method, it is still worth noting that he gave the talk Über Grundlagen und Aufbau der Geometrie Ⓣ(On the foundations and structure of the geometry) to the German Mathematical Society which was published in the first volume of the Jahresberichte der Deutschen Mathematiker vereinigung Ⓣ(Annual Reports of the German Mathematicial Association) (1892).
- Wiener proposed that geometry be studied without using visual images, but rather by abstract axiomatic methods.
- Among the honours that Wiener received was election to the German Academy of Scientists Leopoldina in 1895.
Born 15 May 1857, Karlsruhe, Germany. Died 13 June 1939, Darmstadt, Germany.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive