Person: Bosanquet, Lancelot Stephen
Stephen Bosanquet was an English mathematician who worked in analysis, especially Fourier series.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Bosanquet was educated at Balliol College, Oxford, and his doctorate, which was supervised by Hardy, was awarded in 1929.
- Bosanquet's early 1930s papers were on series and integration, a 1930 paper being on fractional integration, a topic he would return to many times.
- Bosanquet's first and only appointment was to University College, London.
- A strong supporter of the London Mathematical Society, Bosanquet was secretary to the Society from 1947 to 1951.
- Bosanquet wrote many papers on the convergence and summability of Fourier series.
- Over a period of 30 years, Bosanquet supervised 19 students for their doctorate.
Born 26 December 1903, St. Stephen's-by-Saltash, Cornwall, England. Died 10 January 1984, Cambridge, England.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive