Person: Fasenmyer, Mary Celine
Mary Celine Fasenmyer was an American mathematician known for her work on hypergeometric functions and linear algebra.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- George Fasenmyer owned an oil lease in Crown, Pennsylvania and he ran his own business from there.
- Mary was sent to school in Titusville, a town in Crawford county north-western Pennsylvania about 30 miles from Crown.
- At St Joseph's Academy Mary showed her mathematical talents but after she graduated in 1923 there was no university education for her.
- In 1933 Fasenmyer was awarded an A.B. by Mercyhurst College and in the same year she took her vows and joined the Sisters of Mercy becoming Sister Celine.
- There is a charming story told by Wilf of how he contacted Sister Mary in 1994.
Born 4 October 1906, Crown, Pennsylvania, USA. Died 27 December 1996, Erie, Pennsylvania, USA.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Origin Usa, Women
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive