Person: Goodstein, Reuben Louis
Louis Goodstein was an English mathematician who worked on mathematical logic, in particular ordinal numbers, recursive arithmetic, analysis, and the philosophy of mathematics.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Educated at St Paul's School London, Louis won scholarships and a prize for an essay on divergent series.
- Goodstein then did research at Cambridge on transfinite numbers under Littlewood's supervision.
- While undertaking this strenuous teaching load Goodstein carried out research which he submitted for a doctorate to the University of London in 1946.
- At Leicester Goodstein played a full role.
- Goodstein worked on mathematical logic, in particular ordinal numbers, recursive arithmetic, analysis, and the philosophy of mathematics.
Born 15 December 1912, London, England. Died 8 March 1985, Leicester, England.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive