Person: Grauert, Hans
Hans Grauert was a German mathematician who made important contributions to the theory of functions of several complex variables.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Hans' four years at this school were war years but when he left at the end of March 1945 the Allied armies had already crossed the Rhine and Germany was close to defeat.
- It would be almost a year before Grauert could continue his education.
- The war had ended by the time Grauert began his studies at the Gymnasium in Meppen, a town about 12 km due south of Haren-Ems.
- During the next year Grauert was able to undertake work supported by grants from Nordrhein-Westfalen and from Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft.
- In September 1955 Grauert was appointed as an assistant at the University of Münster submitting his habititation thesis there in February 1957.
- On 1 September 1959 Grauert was appointed as an ordinary professor at the University of Göttingen to fill the chair which Carl Ludwig Siegel had occupied.
- Let us look briefly at some books Grauert has written.
- In the following year Grauert published Differential- und Integralrechnung.
- II), this second volume being written jointly with Wolfgang Fischer (another doctoral student of Grauert who obtained his Ph.D. in 1964).
- III) was published, this one being a collaboration between Grauert and Lieb.
- In 1971 Grauert published Analytische Stellenalgebren Ⓣ(Analytical position algebras) written jointly with Reinhold Remmert.
- In 1974 Grauert and Klaus Fritzsche (yet another doctoral student of Grauert who obtained his Ph.D. in 1975) published Einführung in die Funktionentheorie mehrerer Veränderlicher Ⓣ(Introduction to the theory of functions of several variables).
- In 1977 Grauert and Remmert published Theorie der Steinschen Räume Ⓣ(Theory of Stein spaces) (an English translation Theory of Stein spaces appeared in 1979 and was reprinted in 2004) and the same two authors published Coherent analytic sheaves in 1984.
- In 1999 Grauert and Hans-Christoph Grunau published Lineare Algebra und analytische Geometrie Ⓣ(Linear Algebra and Analytic Geometry).
- Grauert has received many honours for his outstanding contributions.
Born 8 February 1930, Haren-Ems, Niedersachsen, Germany. Died 4 September 2011, Göttingen, Germany.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive