Person: Gromoll, Detlef
Detlef Gromoll was an German mathematician who worked in America. He worked in differential geometry.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- After his secondary education in Rosdorf, Gromoll entered the University of Bonn.
- During these years Gromoll published some important work.
- Also in 1968, Gromoll published a joint work with Jeff Cheeger The structure of complete manifolds of nonnegative curvature.
- This paper was in fact a sequel to On complete open manifolds of positive curvature which Gromoll had written with Wolfgang Meyer but did not appear in print until the following year.
- This is a highly significant paper but an even more important one was published by Gromoll and Cheeger in 1972, namely On the structure of complete manifolds of non-negative curvature.
- In 1970, a year after his appointment at Stony Brook, Gromoll was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Nice, France.
Born 13 May 1938, Berlin, Germany. Died 31 May 2008, Stony Brook, New York, USA.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive