Person: Hildebrant, John A
John Hildebrant was an American mathematician and specialist in semigroup theory.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Hildebrant worked on topological semigroups under Brown's supervision and was awarded his Ph.D. in 1965 for his dissertation On Compact Uniquely Divisible Semigroups.
- After completing his doctorate, Hildebrant accepted an appointment at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in 1966.
- To give a small flavour of Hildebrant as a teacher, we list the contents of a course he gave at Louisiana State University on Foundations of Mathematics.
- Let me see you try that again." John was also extraordinarily supportive of his Ph.D. students, both during their dissertation research and well into their careers.
- John never hesitated to admit that he had "proven" his share of Friday's theorems.
- John's generosity was demonstrated in his work with students, his administrative work, and his relationship with colleagues.
Born 8 August 1935, Bartlesville, Oklahoma, USA. Died 3 June 2003, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Origin Usa, Topology
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive