Person: Okikiolu, George Olatokunbo
George Okikiolu is a Nigerian mathematician and inventor who published papers on integral operators on Banach spaces.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- In 1963 Okikiolu graduated with a B.Sc. degree with First Class Honours in Mathematics, from the University of London.
- After the award of his first degree, in 1964 Okikiolu accepted an assistant lectureship at Battersea College, London, while continuing to study for a Master's Degree from the University of London.
- While on the one-year appointment at Battersea College, Okikiolu applied for assistant lectureships in various universities and was offered an appointment at the University of Sussex.
- We note that by 1965 only Elizabeth Okikiolu is at 29 Ravenshaw Street, Hampstead, while George and Patricia Okikiolu were living at 11 Beverley Gardens, Richmond upon Thames, England.
- After one year at the University of Sussex, Okikiolu was offered an appointment at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, Suffolk, which he took up in 1966.
- Okikiolu did not write a Ph.D. thesis but published extensively in the leading mathematical journals.
- Indeed it was one of "a number of papers", being one of the nine papers that Okikiolu published in 1966.
- By 1970 Okikiolu had published 24 papers and was writing the book Aspects of the Theory of Bounded Integral Operators in Lp Spaces, which was published by Academic Press in 1971.
- Okikiolu took his 24 papers and this book and submitted them to the University of London for a D.Sc. which he was awarded in 1971.
- In 1972 he set up the Okikiolu Science and Industrial Organisation, London, and began to create inventions and apply for patents for them.
- His paper Uniformly bounded projections and semi-groups of operators, published in 1974, gives his address as Okikiolu Science and Industrial Organisation, 23 Mile End Road, Norwich.
- Despite this work on inventions, Okikiolu continued to published many mathematical papers and books.
- His two volume work, Special integral operators, was published in 1980, 1981 by his own Okikiolu Science and Industrial Organisation.
- In 1981 Okikiolu began publishing a mathematical journal with the title Bulletin of Mathematics.
- By 1986 twenty-one parts had been published each part containing 2, 3 or 4 papers by Okikiolu.
- The journal stopped publication in 1986 and by that time Okikiolu had published around 60 papers in it.
- Only one paper by a mathematician other than Okikiolu appears to have been published in this journal.
- but we have been unable to find any books published by Okikiolu after 1989.
Born 18 July 1941, Aba, Nigeria.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive