Person: Okikiolu (2), Katherine
Katherine Okikiolu was born in England, the daughter of a Nigerian mathematician. She went to the United States where she was awarded a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers for both her mathematical research and her development of mathematics curricula for inner-city school children.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Her parents are George Olatokunbo Okikiolu and Patricia Natasha Edwards.
- George Okikiolu is a Nigerian who came to England to study for an undergraduate degree in mathematics in 1959.
- By 1974, unhappy that he was not being promoted to a professorship despite having published around 30 papers in the ten years 1965-74, George Okikiolu decided to resign his university appointment and concentrate on his inventions.
- At high school Okikiolu developed an interest in mathematics and in art.
- Okikiolu matriculated at Newnham College, University of Cambridge, in 1985.
- In 1987 Okikiolu graduated with a B.A. in mathematics from the University of Cambridge and she went to the United States to undertake research for a doctorate.
- Okikiolu was awarded a Ph.D. in 1991 for her thesis The Analogue of the Strong Szego Limit Theorem on the Torus and the 3-Sphere.
- There is minor inconsistency in the information about Okikiolu's advisors.
- Okikiolu was an instructor and later assistant professor at Princeton University from 1993 to 1995.
- By the time Okikiolu was appointed to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Guillemin was the Norbert Wiener Professor of Mathematics.
- Okikiolu and Guillemin published the three joint papers, Szegő theorems for Zoll operators (1996), Spectral asymptotics of Toeplitz operators on Zoll manifolds (1997), and Subprincipal terms in Szegő estimates (1997).
- Okikiolu joined the faculty at the University of California at San Diego in 1997 where she became an associate professor.
- During the years that this project was running, Okikiolu spent two further periods at the Institute for Advanced Study, from September 2003 to December 2003 and from September 2008 to December 2008.
Born 13 August 1965, London, England.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Origin England, Women
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive