Person: Olubummo, Adegoke
Adegoke Olubummo was a Nigerian mathematician who was the first Nigerian professor of mathematics.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Olubummo graduated from Christ's School in 1937 with the Standard Six Certificate.
- Olubummo taught as a pupil/assistant teacher at the Methodist Primary School at Ifaki Ekiti in 1937.
- While at Fourah Bay College, Olubummo met Michael Adekunle Ajasin (1908-1997) with whom he shared having been born in Ondo State, Nigeria.
- He was keen to have top quality staff at Imade College and he persuaded Olubummo to take up a position there as a teacher of mathematics and English in 1949 after he had received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Fourah Bay College.
- In 1951 Olubummo travelled to England to undertake research for a Ph.D. He enrolled at King's College, Durham University, and after studying for a Masters Degree in 1951-52 was awarded the degree of M.A. in Mathematics (1952).
- Although Rogosinski was the official advisor of his thesis, nevertheless Olubummo was greatly influenced by Frank Bonsall who was a lecturer at King's College, Durham University, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, when he was studying there.
- Bonsall was becoming a world leading expert on Banach algebras at this time and Olubummo benefitted from his advice as he undertook research in this area.
- After the award of his Ph.D., Olubummo returned to Nigeria and was appointed as a lecturer in the Department of Mathematics of University College, Ibadan.
- Yewande Olubummo became an exceptional mathematician and has a biography in this archive.
- At Ibadan, Olubummo was steadily promoted reaching full professor in 1964.
- Let us note here two students who gained Ph.D. degrees from the University of Ibadan with Olubummo as their thesis advisor.
- To this writer it was a privilege growing-up to know the erudite Professor Olubummo as a devoted person to his true friends ...
- Professor Olubummo was someone with strong passion for traditional ceremonies and cultural events.
- In addition to the book we mentioned above, Olubummo has published the book Introduction to Real Analysis (1979) and around 25 papers, the last two of which both appeared in 1989.
- In 1985 Olubummo retired from the University of Ibadan, and became Dean of the Faculty of Science of Ondo State University, Ado-Ekiti.
Born 19 April 1923, Orin Ekiti, Ondo State, Nigeria. Died 26 October 1992, Orin Ekiti, Ondo State, Nigeria.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
African, Origin Nigeria
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive