◀ ▲ ▶History / 20th-century / Person: Popoviciu (2), Elena Moldovan
Person: Popoviciu (2), Elena Moldovan
Elena Popoviciu was a Romanian mathematician who worked in functional analysis.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- She wrote papers both under the name of Elena Moldovan and the name Elena Popoviciu.
- We will use both the names Elena Moldovan and Elena Popoviciu throughout this biography, trying our best to use the correct name for the time to which we refer.
- After graduating from high school, Elena began her studies at the University of Cluj.
- It was the Babeș University of Cluj that Elena Moldovan entered and she was awarded a bachelor's degree in mathematics in the summer of 1947.
- Elena Moldovan studied for a Ph.D. in Mathematics.
- She began research advised by the academician Grigore Calugăreănu but, after a while, fascinated by the remarkable personality of Tiberiu Popoviciu, her research topic moved to convex function theory and interpolation function theory.
- From that time on her research was supervised by the academician Tiberiu Popoviciu.
- As a mathematical concept, Elena Popoviciu used the term 'behaviour' for the first time in 1965, on the occasion of a conference held at the Babeș-Bolyai University of Cluj, without publishing it.
- The entire didactical activity of Elena Popoviciu took place at the Faculty of Mathematics of the University of Cluj.
- From 1969, Elena Popoviciu was appointed a full professor in the Mathematical Analysis Chair of the Babeș-Bolyai University of Cluj.
- Starting with 1974, Elena Popoviciu became a Ph.D. supervisor and, in total throughout her career, she supervised 23 doctoral students.
- Elena Popoviciu founded, in 1960, the research Seminar on Best Approximation and Mathematical Programming and, in 1974, the Interdisciplinary Research Laboratory.
- Elena Popoviciu, a mathematician with broad national and international recognition.
- Elena Popoviciu was one of the main contributors to the school of Mathematical Analysis in Cluj, mentor to many generations of students and PhD coordinator.
- For many years she directed the Seminar "Tiberiu Popoviciu" on Functional Equations, Approximation and Convexity.
- Elena Popoviciu was also very much involved in the editorial work of the following journals: Revue d'Analyse Numérique et de Théorie de l'Approximation and Annals of the Tiberiu Popoviciu Seminar of Functional Equations, Approximation and Convexity.
- Five years later, on 30 September 2004, a Scientific Session was organised at the Babeș-Bolyai University of Cluj-Napoca to celebrate Elena Popoviciu's eightieth birthday.
- In 1992 she wrote Hommage à l'occasion d'un important anniversaire Ⓣ(Tribute to an important anniversary) in which she discussed some results about convexity obtained by Tiberiu Popoviciu and his students.
- Elena Popoviciu died in June 2009 at Cluj-Napoca.
Born 26 August 1924, Cluj, Romania. Died 24 June 2009, Cluj, Romania.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Origin Romania, Women
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive