Person: Schramm, Oded
Oded Schramm was an Israeli-American mathematician known for his work in conformal field theory and probability theory.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- After the award of a Master's degree, Schramm went to the United States to undertake work for his doctorate at Princeton University.
- Before the award of his doctorate, Schramm had papers in print.
- Following the award of his doctorate, Schramm worked for two years as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California, San Diego.
- Schramm worked at the Institute for seven years until, in 1999, he returned to the United States to take up a position in the Theory Group at Microsoft Research in Redmond, Washington.
- In 1994 Schramm published a joint paper with Greg Kuperberg entitled Average kissing numbers for non-congruent sphere packings.
- In 2000 Schramm published Scaling limits of loop-erased random walks and uniform spanning trees which introduced the important concept now named Schramm-Loewner evolution.
- In trying to understand this limit as well as limits of other models such as the loop-erased walk, Schramm combined classical results in complex variables of C Loewner with probability theory to invent the process now called the Schramm-Loewner evolution (SLE).
- Schramm also showed that if the scaling limit of percolation was conformally invariant, then the boundaries between clusters would be given by SLE.
- In his plenary lecture at the ICM2006, Oded Schramm will discuss various open problems, some of which have been selected to illustrate achievements in physics that have yet to be understood mathematically.
- Schramm will speak about random systems in the plane, and about how to understand their behaviour.
- Dr Schramm was born on December 10, 1961; the cut-off birth date for the 2002 Fields was January 1, 1962.
- Wendelin Werner, a younger mathematician who collaborated with Dr Schramm on follow-up research, won a Fields in 2006.
- Schramm, who was an avid climber, died in a mountaineering accident at Guye Peak, near Snoqualmie Pass, in Washington State.
Born 10 December 1961, Jerusalem, Israel. Died 1 September 2008, Guye Peak, Washington State, USA.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive