Person: Sleeman, Brian
Brian Sleeman was an English mathematician who spent much of his career in Scotland. He specialised in applied analysis and mathematical biology.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Richard Sleeman (1904-2002) was born in Launceston, Cornwall on 6 October.
- Brian Sleeman was educated in London and attended the Battersea College of Technology (now the University of Surrey), being awarded a B.Sc. in 1963.
- Continuing his studies in London, Sleeman undertook research at the University of London advised by Felix Medland Arscott.
- Sleeman was awarded a Ph.D. in 1966 for his thesis Some Boundary Value Problems Associated with the Heun Equation.
- Sleeman's address on this paper, when it was submitted on 11 October 1965, was Department of Mathematics, Battersea College of Technology, London.
- When Sleeman was appointed as an Assistant Lecturer in Mathematics at Queen's College, Dundee, he became a member of staff of the University of St Andrews since the College was part of the University of St Andrews until 1967.
- In the same year Sleeman was promoted to Lecturer in Mathematics, then promoted to Reader in Mathematics in 1971.
- One of Sleeman's major contributions was assisting in the running of conferences on the 'Theory of Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations'.
- The first, held in Dundee from 28 to 31 March 1972, had Proceedings published in the Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics series with Norrie Everitt and Brian Sleeman as editors.
- Dr Sleeman and Dr Michael acted as Organising Secretaries for the Conference.
- Sleeman was an editor of further conferences in the same series: the Conference held at the University of Dundee, Dundee, 26-29 March 1974; the Fourth Conference held at the University of Dundee, Dundee, 30 March-2 April, 1976; the Sixth Conference held at the University of Dundee, Dundee, 31 March-4 April, 1980; the Seventh Conference held at the University of Dundee, Dundee, 29 March-2 April, 1982; the Eighth Conference held at the University of Dundee, Dundee, 25-29 June, 1984; the Ninth Dundee Conference held at the University of Dundee, Dundee, 30 June-4 July, 1986; the Tenth Dundee Conference held at the University of Dundee, Dundee, July 1988; the Eleventh Conference held at The University of Dundee, Dundee, 3-6 July, 1990; and the Twelfth Conference held in honour of Professor D S Jones at the University of Dundee, Dundee, 22-26 June, 1992.
- Up to 1980, Sleeman's research was mostly in applied analysis, multiparameter spectral theory, direct and inverse scattering theory.
- In 1989 Sleeman published the paper Complexity in Biological Systems and Hamiltonian Dynamics.
- In 1995 Sleeman left Dundee when he was appointed as Professor at the University of Leeds.
- We invited all of Brian's former PhD students and post-docs and many of his research collaborators from the last 40 years and many of them were able to attend.
- The plenary speakers were drawn from people whom Brian had worked with over the years or whom he had known as colleagues over the years, or who were active in some of the main areas of research Brian worked in.
- Among other honours given to Sleeman note he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1976.
Born 4 August 1939, London, England. Died 19 July 2021, Dundee, Scotland.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive