Person: Steele, Catherine Cassels
Catherine Steele graduated from the University of St Andrews. She went on to a doctorate in Chemistry and studied at the University of Illinois and at Harvard. She taught for some time at a Horticultural College in Kent before returning to the USA.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Catherine Steele began her primary schooling at West Calder at the age of five.
- Steele was awarded a Commonwealth Fellowship to allow her to travel to the United States to continue with her research in chemistry.
- After three years in the United States, Steele returned to Britain, taking up a post at the Horticultural College, Swanley, Kent.
- Dr Steele a Ph.D. of St Andrews, met Dr Bock while she was in America lecturing and doing chemistry research work under the Commonwealth Fellowship.
- John Begg, Skelmorlie, Ayrshire, and Mr Robert B D Steele, a student, acted as groomsman.
- In USA on 27 February 1942, to Dr and Mrs Louis Bock (Catherine C Steele), Boyd Road, Huntington Valley, Pennsylvania, a son.
Born 17 September 1903, West Calder, West Lothian, Scotland. Died 3 December 1995, Lacy, Washington, USA.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Origin Scotland, Women
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive