Person: Tims, Sydney Rex
Rex Tims was an English mathematician and university teacher.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- Rex attended a primary school in Watford and then, for his secondary education, studied at Watford Grammar School on Rickmansworth Road in Watford.
- Tims devoted his efforts to teaching and did not publish any mathematical papers for nearly twenty years until he published (with J A Tyrrell) Approximate evaluation of Euler's constant (1971).
- He was, however, the joint author of an excellent undergraduate textbook, namely Mathematical analysis: an introduction, by David Bernard Scott and Sydney Rex Tims (Cambridge University Press, 1966).
- In 1961 Tims was elected to the Royal Astronomical Society, having been proposed by Hermann Bondi.
Born 21 December 1926, London, England. Died 16 February 1971, Aldershot, Hampshire, England.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive