◀ ▲ ▶History / 19th-century / Person: Meiklejohn, John George Brotchie
Person: Meiklejohn, John George Brotchie
John Meiklejohn graduated from Edinburgh and taught at Dundee High School.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- John Meiklejohn attended Weydale Public School for five years, followed by the Miller Institution for four and a half years.
- It is perhaps worth noting that Meiklejohn did not seem particularly fond of his middle names since he gave 'John Meiklejohn' as his 'Name in full' when he matriculated.
- If there were any doubts as to his rapid promotion to the headship after only four years of teaching, these were soon dispelled, for three years later there began an almost unbroken sequence of highly-placed John Welsh Mathematical Bursars at his old University.
- Meiklejohn joined the Edinburgh Mathematical Society in December 1898, in the year in which he graduated from Edinburgh University.
Born 5 November 1872, Weydale, Thurso, Caithness, Scotland. Died 19 January 1951, Dundee, Scotland.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive