Person: Moffat, George Lowe
George Moffat graduated from Edinburgh University and taught at Dumfries Academy and Glasgow Academy where he became Head of Mathematics.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- George attended Leith High School from 1880 to 1882, then attended George Watson's College from 1882 to 1890.
- Moffat was awarded an M.A. by the University of Edinburgh in 1893.
- Moffat became a mathematics teacher, and taught at Dumfries Academy from 1893 to 1897.
- In December 1912, following the death of James Wood, the Head of Mathematics, Geordie Moffat was appointed to take charge of the Department.
- At Easter 1934, Moffat went on holiday to Helensburgh, where he died.
Born 18 June 1872, Leith (near Edinburgh), Scotland. Died 15 April 1934, Helensburgh, Scotland.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive