Person: De Sacrobosco, Johannes
John of Holywood or Johannes de Sacrobosco was an English scholar who wrote an important text on astronomy and promoted Arabic methods of arithmetic and algebra.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- In 1220 Sacrobosco went to study in Paris.
- Although almost all dates for Sacrobosco are guesses we do know one date precisely for, on 5 June 1221, he was appointed a teacher at the University of Paris.
- Sacrobosco promoted Arabic methods of arithmetic and algebra in his teachings.
- In 1220 Sacrobosco wrote Tractatus de Sphaera a book on astronomy in four chapters.
- Sacrobosco wrote De Anni Ratione in 1232.
Born about 1195, (possibly) Halifax, Yorkshire, England. Died 1256, Paris, France.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Astronomy, Origin England
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive