Person: Musa, Jafar Muhammad Banu
Jafar Muhammad Banu Musa was one of the three Bana Musa brothers. He wrote about conics.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- However, there is some information specific to the eldest: Jafar Muhammad ibn Musa ibn Shakir.
- In addition to making perhaps the major contribution to the geometry text described above, Jafar Muhammad also wrote Premises of the book of conics which was a critical revision of Apollonius's Conics.
- It appears that his dispute with al-Kindi coloured Jafar Muhammad actions and he opposed anyone who had been a friend of al-Kindi's.
- Jafar Muhammad was sent by al-Musta'in to negotiate the terms of his surrender with the besieging forces.
Born about 800, Baghdad, Iraq. Died after 873, Iraq.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Ancient Arab, Origin Iraq
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive