Person: Banu Musa Brothers
The Bana Musa brothers were Islamic mathematicians whose work is almost indistinguishable.
Mathematical Profile (Excerpt):
- The most studied treatise written by the Banu Musa is Kitab marifat masakhat al-ashkal Ⓣ(The Book of the Measurement of Plane and Spherical Figures).
- There are many similarities in the methods employed by the Banu Musa and those employed by Archimedes.
- The Banu Musa apply the method of exhaustion invented by Eudoxus and used so effectively by Archimedes.
- As used by the Banu Musa the "method of exhaustion" loses most of its subtlety and power.
- In another aspect, however, the Banu Musa made a definite step forward.
- The Banu Musa's concept of number is broader than that of the Greeks.
- The Banu Musa also introduce geometrical proofs which involve thinking of the geometric objects as moving.
Born about 800, Baghdad, (now in Iraq). Died 860, Iraq.
View full biography at MacTutor
Tags relevant for this person:
Ancient Arab, Astronomy, Origin Iraq
Thank you to the contributors under CC BY-SA 4.0!
Adapted from other CC BY-SA 4.0 Sources:
- O’Connor, John J; Robertson, Edmund F: MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive